About the Selection of Our Board
This page last reviewed May 2, 2013
MEMBERS OF THE AIR RESOURCES BOARD
The Air Resources Board (Board) consists of 12 members appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. All members serve "at the pleasure" of the Governor. The Board members serve part-time, except the Chairperson, who serves full-time.
Members must meet qualifications specified in the law. Five members must be chosen from the boards of local air quality management districts:
- One Each from the
- San Diego Air Pollution Control District
- San Francisco Bay Area Air Quality Management District
- San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District
- South Coast Air Quality Management District (Greater Los Angeles Region)
- The Sacramento region, which consists of the following air districts:
- Sacramento Metropolitan AQMD
- Yolo-Solano AQMD
- Placer County APCD
- Feather River AQMD
- El Dorado County APCD
- and One from Any Other District.
- Three other members fill specific categories:
- One must have expertise in automotive engineering or a closely related field.
- One must have expertise in science, agriculture, or law.
- One must be a physician and surgeon, or health effects expert.
- One of the three remaining members must have expertise in air pollution control, or must meet the qualifications of one of the three categories mentioned above.
- The remaining two members are public members.
The Governor appoints a full-time Chairperson to the Board from among its members.
The Board meets monthly, in various locations of the state. The members receive travel expenses in accordance with rates established by the Department of Personnel Administration.
Each Board member contributes her/his expertise and talent to the ARB's programs. Such activities include: giving speeches, serving on committees of the Board and other governmental committees such as the ARB Agricultural Advisory Committee, Southern California Association of Governments, San Joaquin Valley Air Quality Study Committee, and participating in various ARB workshops.