Greenhouse Gas Inventory Data - 2000 to 2012
Data sources include California and federal agencies, international organizations, and industry associations. The calculation methodologies are consistent with the 2006 IPCC guidelines. The current inventory uses global warming potential (GWP) values from the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, consistent with ARB Scoping Plan Update and USEPA's next national inventory. Full documentation of data sources and methods is available on this web site.
In preparation for each new edition of the inventory, recalculations are made to correct errors, incorporate new methodologies or, most commonly, to reflect changes in statistical data supplied by other agencies. Emission estimates are recalculated for all years in order to maintain a consistent time-series of estimates within the inventory. This approach follows the recommendation for developing GHG inventories discussed in Chapter 7 of the IPCC Good Practice Guidance document. Thus the new inventory may report a different amount of emission/removal for an earlier year than earlier inventories. The results of all methodology changes and historical data updates are discussed in the “Changes in Estimates” section of each chapter of the 2000-2012 Technical Support Document (available below).
The California GHG inventory is categorized in three ways:
- Scoping Plan; follows the categories identified in the ARB 2008 Scoping Plan.
- Process-oriented categories; follows the IPCC categorization to ensure comparability with international inventories.
- Economic sectors; allows for comparison with other ARB emission inventories, which are similarly categorized.
Download a Summary
- 2000-2012 Inventory by Scoping Plan category - Summary [PDF-99 KB]
- 2000-2012 inventory by economic sector - Summary [PDF-86 KB]
- 2000-2012 inventory by IPCC category - Summary [PDF-127KB]
Download the Entire Inventory
- 2000-2012 inventory by economic sector - Full Detail [PDF-454 KB]
- 2000-2012 inventory by economic sector - Full Detail [Excel-387 KB]
- 2000-2012 inventory by IPCC category - Full Detail [PDF-386 KB]
- 2000-2012 inventory by IPCC category - Full Detail [Excel-355 KB]
Query the Inventory
Query the inventory by economic sector and/or by activity. This interactive query tool allows you to select a subset of the inventory in a table, view it or download it to your computer, find out how each of the emissions values was estimated, and plot the data. More details on the query tool's help page.