Biodiesel and renewable diesel are alternative diesel fuels,
derived from biological sources (such as vegetable oils or tallow),
which can be used in unmodified diesel-engine vehicles.
produce biodiesel, a feedstock (commonly vegetable oil) undergoes an
with methanol and a catalyst to produce Fatty Acid Methyl Esters
(FAME). Renewable diesel is produced by hydrotreatment of the
feedstocks as biodiesel, resulting in a hydrocarbon fuel that is very
petroleum diesel in its chemical composition.
commonly these fuels are used in a blend with petroleum diesel.
For example, B5 would be a mixture containing 5% biodiesel
95% petroleum diesel, whereas R20 would be a mixture containing 20%
renewable diesel and 80% petroleum diesel.
|June 13, 2013||Public meeting in Sacramento from
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
to discuss the continued development of regulatory concepts for
establishing fuel requirements for
alternative diesel fuels (ADF), including inlcuding new concepts
resulting from the discussion at the previous workshop held on April
- Meeting Notice and Agenda (PDF 1.7MB)
- Preliminary Draft Regulation Order (PDF 26KB)
- Draft Proposed Amendments to the California Diesel Fuel Regulations (351 KB)
- ARB Staff Presentation on ADF (784 KB)
- ARB Staff Presentation on Draft of Proposed Diesel Amendments (345 KB)
2013||Public meeting in Sacramento from
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
to discuss regulatory concepts for establishing fuel requirements for
alternative diesel fuels (ADF), including biodiesel, renewable diesel
and other emerging diesel fuel substitutes.
During this meeting, we will discuss our biodiesel literature search,
completed and on going emissions research studies, as well as
preliminary regulatory concepts.|
|February 15, 2013||
Discussion of Conceptual Approach to Regulation of Alternative Diesel Fuels (PDF - 658 KB)
ARB staff has posted a white paper which describes staff’s
regulatory concepts for an Alternative Diesel Fuel (ADF) regulation. Staff proposes an updated regulatory
framework and addresses requirements for biodiesel and renewable diesel. This white paper represents the culmination
of staff’s evaluations and information gathered in public workshops over the
past several years. Public comments will be accepted as part of
an upcoming public workshop, which staff will announce soon via a separate
|December 8, 2011
|The Final Biodiesel Characterization and NOx Mitigation Study Report is now available. (PDF 5.34MB)
|October 4, 2011
|Biodiesel Regulatory Guidance (PDF 314K)
This guidance applies exclusively to biodiesel and biodiesel blends, and not to any other fuel or fuel blendstock.
The Air Resources Board (ARB or Board) is issuing a Biodiesel Guidance
(Guidance) today, which goes into effect immediately. This
Guidance will remain in effect through December 31, 2016, unless
extended or otherwise superseded by a subsequent ARB guidance, advisory
The purpose of this Guidance is to provide clarity and certainty for
biodiesel producers and blenders through a restatement of existing ARB
policy. This Guidance supersedes the draft guidance document
released on November 14, 2006. Other ARB policies pertaining to
biodiesel can be found in the Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS)
Regulatory Advisories available at ARB’s main LCFS informational
|December 8, 2010
||Public meeting in Sacramento from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
the Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Multimedia Evaluation.
- Biodiesel Emissions Study - On-Road Engine (PDF-538K), b&w (PDF-309K), handout (PDF-291K)
- Biodiesel Emissions Study - John Deere Engine (PDF-1.48M), b&w (PDF-670K), handout (PDF-712K)
- Biodiesel Emissions Study - Transportation Refrigeration Units (PDF-769K), b&w (PDF-6.19M), handout (PDF-3.50M)
- Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Regulated Emission Results (PDF-3.00M), b&w (PDF-14.34M), handout (PDF-2.27M)
- Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Real-Time Particulate Matter Emission Results (PDF-1.88M), b&w (PDF-3.02M), handout (PDF-362K)
- Biodiesel PM Chemical Speciation (PDF-86K), b&w (PDF-69K), handout (PDF-63K)
- Biodiesel Volatile Compounds (PDF-2.12M), b&w (PDF-5.45M), handout (PDF-1.66M)
- Biodiesel Chemical and Bioassay Analyses (PDF-729K), b&w (PDF-675K), handout (PDF-673K)
- Biodiesel Emission Health Effects (PDF-6.94M), b&w (PDF-9.10M), handout (PDF-8.73M)
- Biodiesel Tier II (PDF-4.67M), b&w (PDF-2.08M), handout (PDF-1.32M)
- Renewable Diesel Tier I (PDF-1.09M), b&w (PDF-622K), handout (PDF-361K)
- Emerging Fuels Imapct Assessment (PDF-177K), b&w (PDF-205K), handout (PDF-143K)
|May 19, 2010
workshop in Sacramento from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00
p.m. to discuss the
upcoming regulation establishing specifications for biodiesel and
This meeting is scheduled to discuss comments and concerns
raised bystakeholders at the last workshop.
of biodiesel on a Transportation Refrigeration Unit engine at the B50
and B100 levels has been
completed. The preliminary results are posted here.
- Impact of Biodiesel Blends on a Transport