Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
This page last updated April 8, 2016
The Air Resources Board (ARB) Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
designed to promote the purchase of battery electric, plug-in hybrid
electric, and fuel cell vehicles. Rebates of up to $6,500 per
light-duty vehicle are available for individuals, nonprofits,
government entities, and business owners who purchase or lease an
eligible vehicle. For current rebate statistics, please visit the
Center for Sustainable Energy's (CSE) CVRP
Rebate Statistics Webpage.
For Fiscal Year 2015-16, the California Energy Commission (Energy Commission) approved the transfer of $5 million to CVRP to augment funding freeway capable ZEVs certified for four or more passengers.
To apply for a
rebate, check the status of your rebate, or to get more information
regarding CVRP, please visit CSE's CVRP
website at https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng
or call 866-984-2532.
- Income Cap for higher-income consumers
- Increased rebate levels for low- and moderate-income consumers
The income eligibility changes apply to rebate applications for vehicles purchased or leased on or after the implementation date of March 29, 2016. For example, a consumer who purchases or leases a vehicle on March 29, 2016 would be subject to the income cap and would potentially be eligible for an increased rebate. A consumer who purchases or leases a vehicle on or before March 28, 2016 would not be subject to the income cap and would not be eligible for an increased rebate.
Income Cap for Higher-Income Consumers
The income cap for higher-income consumers is set at the same income thresholds established in Proposition 30, a ballot initiative approved by California voters in 2012. Consumers will not be eligible for CVRP rebates if their gross annual incomes are above the following thresholds:
- $250,000 for single filers
- $340,000 for head-of-household filers
- $500,000 for joint filers
The income cap applies to all eligible vehicle types except fuel-cell electric vehicles.
For the purposes of CVRP, gross annual income is determined by the amount reported on the applicant’s federal tax return:
- On IRS Form 1040: Line 22
- On IRS Form 1040A: Line 15
- On IRS Form 1040EZ: Line 4
Increased Rebate Levels for Low- and Moderate-Income Consumers
Rebate amounts will be increased by $1,500 per rebate for consumers with household incomes less than or equal to 300 percent of the federal poverty level. Increased rebate amounts are available for fuel-cell electric vehicles, battery electric vehicles, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
For the purposes of CVRP, a household includes all family members or other unrelated persons, including the rebate applicant, who reside together and share common living expenses.
For the purposes of CVRP, gross annual household income includes that of the applicant and all other individuals in the household, ages 17 years and older, regardless of whether or not they are related to the rebate applicant. Gross income includes, but is not limited to the following:
Wages, unemployment, workers' compensation, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, public assistance, veterans' payments, survivor benefits, pension or retirement income, interest, dividends, rents, royalties, income from estates, trusts, educational assistance, alimony, child support, assistance from outside the household, and other miscellaneous sources.
A subset of applicants will have their income verified. Failure to provide documentation for income verification will result in the application being cancelled and no rebate issued.
- Consumers applying for standard rebate
- Consumers applying for increased rebate
- Option A: A document confirming the applicant's participation in at least one of the public assistance programs on CVRP's Categorical Eligibility List.
Additional documentation may be requested to provide complete details on household size and income.
- Implementation Manual for the Fiscal Year 2015-16 CVRP (PDF - 591KB)
- CVRP Final Report for Fiscal Year 2013-2014 (PDF- 4MB)
- CVRP Final Report for Fiscal Year 2012-2013 (PDF- 3MB)
- CVRP Final Report for Fiscal Years 2009-2011 (PDF- 2MB)
CVRP Work Group Meetings
- For more information on CVRP Work Group Meetings and other AQIP and Low Carbon Transportation meetings, please visit our Workshops/Meetings webpage.