Fleet Rule for Public Agencies and Utilities
This page last reviewed November 13, 2014
The Rule for On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel-Fueled Public and Utility Fleets is one of the California Air Resources Board's efforts to reduce both criteria pollutant emissions and exposure to toxic air contaminants. The rule mandates Public Agency and utility vehicle owners reduce diesel PM emissions from their affected vehicles through the application of Best Available Control Technology or BACT on these vehicles by specified implementation dates. Implementation is phased-in by engine model year groups.
If you wish to receive notices regarding the California Air Resources Board Fleet Rule for Public Agencies and Utilities, sign-up to the Public Fleets listserve.
What's New:Advisory for vehicles using a Cleaire Muffler Module (CMM) (November 13, 2014)
- MSC Mail Out 14-18 extends compliance for vehicles subject to the LongMile recall and have an installed CMM.
- MSC Mail-Out 11-29 has been posted to address compliance when a manufacturer of a verified diesel PM filter suspends sales and installations of a PM filter, or requires its removal for a particular engine family.
- The Air Resources Board is granting a 1-year blanket compliance extension for certain Group 3 vehicles subject to the Fleet Rule for Public Agencies and Utilities. This compliance extension is limited to Group 3 vehicles where a verified diesel emission control strategy (DECS) is not available and a fleet has applied a verified DECS to all remaining Group 3 vehicles where one is available. To qualify for an extension for the remaining Group 3 vehicles, the vehicle must be powered by:
- any dual or bi-fuel engine not currently retrofitted, or
- an engine with a displacement of over 15 liters and equipped with exhaust gas recirculation.
- More information is available in Mail-Out # MSC 09-19.
- The Air Resources Board's DECS Installation/Maintenance page is now available. This page is intended to provide guidance to end users of diesel vehicles or equipment who are interested in purchasing verified diesel emission control strategies (DECS) or (VDECs) (aka retrofit devices) to comply with ARB diesel regulations. This DECS installs page contains links to documents and general information that will assist owners of diesel vehicles or equipment in this effort.
- At its December meeting, the Air Resources Board approved a number of clarifying and administrative changes to the Fleet Rule for Public Agencies and Utilities. The changes will be effective once they are approved by the Office of Administrative Law. The changes approved by the Board are summarized in this Advisory #MSC 09-12.