Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU or Reefer)
(Para ver esta página en español.)
- Applies to
- TRUs (reefers) and TRU generator sets that operate in California, regardless of whether they are based outside of California, are required to meet in-use performance standards by the end of the seventh year after the engine model year or the unit manufacture year.
- California-based reefers were required to register with ARB by July 31, 2009, or within 30 days of a new or used unit entering a carrier’s control.
- California terminal operators that operate TRUs were also required to submit Operator Reports by July 31, 2009, and provide updates within 30 days of changes to any information.
- In-use diesel-fueled Transport Refrigeration Units (TRUs) and TRU generator sets that operate in California, whether they are registered in or outside the State.
For the Basic Compliance Schedule for TRUs by model year see #5 on the Multi-Regulation Summary.
December 31, 2008
- This was the first deadline for in-use performance standards for 2001 and older engines.
December 31, 2009
- This was the deadline for model year 2002 engines to comply with in-use standards.
- Enforcement of in-use performance standards began in January 2010.
Subsequent model year engines must comply with in-use standards by December 31st of the seventh year after the engine model year.