Dry Cleaning Program - Publications
This page last reviewed October 10, 2014
The following notices contain information related to the California statewide Perchloroethylene (Perc) Dry Cleaning ATCM (Dry Cleaning ATCM). Notice 2009-1 provides information on the upcoming compliance requirements of the Dry Cleaning ATCM and Notice 2009-2 provides information on the alternative solvents which are being used in California. If you have any questions concerning the information on the notices, please refer to the appropriate ARB staff person listed as a contact on each notice.
- Dry Cleaning Notice 2009-2: Alternative Solvents Used for Dry Cleaning Operations [English] [Korean] [Spanish]
- Dry Cleaning Notice 2009-1: Advisory to Owners and Operators of Perc Dry Cleaning Facilities [English] [Korean] [Spanish]
On December 1, 2008, the Air Resources Board (ARB) received the second petition from the Ko-Am Cleaners Association of California requesting that the Board evaluate the appropriateness of the Dry Cleaning ATCM in light of the current state of the economy and costs associated with the installation of fire suppression systems for new hydrocarbon dry cleaning systems. The second petition and the ARB response are available for download. Included as Reference C and D in the ARB response are the first petition and ARB’s response.
On December 27, 2007, the Office of Administrative Law approved and submitted to the Secretary of State ARB’s final rulemaking file for the amended Dry Cleaning ATCM and the requirements for Perc manufacturers and distributors. As a result, the approved regulations became State law on that date. Major requirements of the newly effective Dry Cleaning ATCM and the requirements for Perc manufacturers and distributors are summarized in these advisories.
- Dry Cleaning ATCM [English] [Korean]
- Environmental Training
- Perc Manufacturers and Distributors
- ARB/CAPCOA letter providing guidance to APCDs in addressing dry cleaners having difficulties coming into compliance with the Dry Cleaning ATCM
The following fact sheets contain information related to California’s dry cleaning regulations, dry cleaning alternative solvents, and the non-toxic dry cleaning incentive program (AB 998). If you have a question concerning one of these aspects of dry cleaning in California, please refer to the appropriate ARB staff person listed as a contact on each appropriate fact sheet.
- Dry Cleaning ATCM Requirements [English] [Korean]
- Dry Cleaning
Alternative Solvents [English] [Korean]
- AB 998 Non-Toxic Dry Cleaning Incentive Program [English] [Korean]
- California State Fire Marshall Information Bulletin on Fire Protection Systems for Dry Cleaning Plants with Type-III Dry Cleaning Systems and the 2010 Fire Code Requirements
- A Notice to Provide Information on Financing Alternative Dry Cleaning Machines
Toxicity Evaluation of Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5)
In September 2006, GreenEarth® (GreenEarth) requested the Air Resources Board (ARB) to evaluate the health information for Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane, also known as D5, the solvent used in GreenEarth. Consequently, we asked the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) to review the available information on the toxicity and persistence of D5. The following documents pertain to OEHHA’s evaluation.
- ARB letter to the local air districts
- OEHHA memo to ARB (Review of Toxicity Information on D5)
- Industry comments
- OEHHA response
California Dry Cleaning Industry Technical Assessment Report
The final California Dry Cleaning Industry Technical Assessment Report, detailing
the status of the California dry cleaning industry, is
available for download (4.3MB).
For more information, please contact Mei Fong at (916) 324-2570.
The following publications contain information to the Dry Cleaning ATCM.